Eat Better When You Eat Together Month
October is “Eat Better, Eat Together” Month. It’s a time to eat healthier, share stories, laugh around the dinner table and take time to catch up with everyone in your family. Homework, extra curricular activities and earlier bed times can sometimes make it difficult to fit in a family dinner during the week, especially when a fast food drive-through seems so much easier.
Family Meals And Family’s Health
But family meals can make a big difference in your family’s health. Children who regularly eat with their families are less likely to snack on unhealthy foods and more likely to eat a greater variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, lean protein and whole grains. Also, we tend to copy the meal habits of those we eat with. Therefore, one of the easiest ways to demonstrate healthy eating habits to children is to regularly eat better meals together as a family.
Furthermore, in addition to the important benefits of eating nutritious food, family dinners are valuable for the conversations and interaction as well. Children — including teenagers — actually enjoy spending time with their families. When adults and children eat together, students perform better in school and have fewer behavior problems. Communications improves and new traditions are created. Shared meals also provide the ideal opportunity for socializing and exchanging ideas.
With a busy schedule, it can be difficult to make family meals happen, but we invite you to make family meals a priority. If time is an issue, make meals quick and easy, or visit an area restaurant.
Some of the Best Restaurants In Houston For Group Eating
- B&B Butchers & Restaurant — 1814 Washington Ave.
- Caracol — 2200 Post Oak Blvd., Ste. 160
- Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse — 5865 Westheimer Rd.
- Conservatory — 1010 Prairie St.
- Damian’s Cucina Italiana — 3011 Smith St.
- Down The Street — 5746 Larkin St.
- El Tiempo Cantina — 2814 Navigation Blvd.
- The Grove — 1611 Lamar St.
- Jackson Street BBQ — 209 Jackson St.
- Sipipa Casual Italian Restaurant — 6516 Westheimer Rd.
- Kiran’s — 2925 Richmond Ave.
- Local Foods — 2555 Kirby Dr.
- Masraff’s — 1753 Post Oak Blvd.
- Monarch Bistro — 5701 Main St.
- North Italia — 1700 Post Oak Blvd.
- Peli Peli — 110 Vintage Park Blvd., Suite P
- Taste of Texas Restaurant — 10505 Katy Frwy.
- Velvet Taco — 4819 Washington Ave.
- Vic & Anthony’s Steakhouse — 1510 Texas St.
- Yard House — 800 Sorella Ct.