Ensuring Safety on Party Buses
Party buses are often associated with fun and excitement, but recent reports of damage and injury on party buses can make it difficult to look forward to a night out on chartered transportation. How can clients make sure that they are safe when they book a party bus? Are there any precautions they can take to check on the safety and reliability of party bus operators?
Legal Safety Requirements For Party Bus Companies
According to federal, state, and local regulators, all charter operators, including party bus companies, must meet several legal requirements. These requirements are meant to ensure safety by making these companies subject to safety inspections and audits. Legal requirements for party bus companies include the following:
- They must have adequate operating insurance.
- They must keep records of safety inspections and routine vehicle maintenance.
- They must register with the Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) and receive a license number.
- They must submit to random audits by the Federal DOT.
- They must have a business license to operate in their local jurisdiction.
Safety Checklist for Choosing a Party Bus Operator
While party bus companies are required to submit to safety laws, most of the responsibility for passenger safety lies with the customer. Rather than leaving your safety entirely to the bus company, you can do your part by asking the right questions when you’re shopping for a charter operator. As you interview potential party bus operators, use the following safety checklist:
- What is the company’s driver safety record? Do their party bus drivers get pulled over frequently?
- What is the company’s DOT license number?
- Does the company have a local business license?
- What were the results of the company’s last safety audit?
- What is the history of the party bus you intend to reserve? How old is the vehicle? Has it been in any accidents? Are there any safety restraints in place on the bus?
- How many years of experience does the bus drive have?
- What are the company’s procedures for preserving passenger safety? Are there any operating standards that passengers must follow while the vehicle is in motion?
Be sure to ask about the company’s hourly rates. While it’s usually best to look for the lowest price, chartering a party bus is not the time to go bargain hunting. If the rates at one provider are unusually low, you may want to reconsider hiring them. Deep rate discounts might signal slipshod maintenance or, worse, an illegal bus operator.
What to Do When Transportation Concerns Arise
What can you do if you notice safety concerns or issues with a party bus operator? Take down the company name, address, and phone number, if possible. When you get home, contact the federal Department Of Transportation via the official website. On the site, you can submit a written complaint regarding the bus company.
Party bus operators are legally obligated to ensure the safety of their vehicles, but there is much customers can do to protect themselves. By learning about the safety requirements for party buses, you can make sure you hire a company that meets these standards.