Why We Love Houston (And You Should Too!)
Houston sometimes gets a bad rap because of flooding, heat, humidity, traffic or a myriad of different reasons, but we LOVE Houston, and we know many of you do too! Houston has been named a top American city, one of the fastest-growing cities, a top destination spot and a cool city. With more than 145 languages spoken, it’s also one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the U.S. It’s full of culture, great food and friendly people.
Perhaps because this is Texas, we do things big. We’re the biggest city in the state, and the fourth largest in the country. We have the biggest medical center and livestock show in the world. Houston also ranks first among the nation’s 10 most populous cities in total acreage of parks, with 52,912 acres of total park space. (To put that in context, Houston has 23.6 acres per 1,000 residents. The national average is 13.7 acres per 1,000 residents.)
Houston is home to 25 Fortune 500 companies (plus one in The Woodlands), which ranks us second after New York City. We’re known for oil and gas, but there has been a recent surge in entrepreneurship and small businesses, along with a still-thriving energy sector and medical/healthcare industry.
A lot of people move here for work or family, but they stay for many more reasons. We have a thriving job market and low cost of living, and there are hundreds of neighborhoods to fit the personality and needs of just about anyone.
Here are our top 10 reasons to love Houston. Why do you love our great city?
- Delicious food, with more than 11,000 restaurants
- The World Series Champions, the Houston Astros, plus our other professional teams — the Texans, Rockets, Dynamo, Dash and Scrap Yard Dawgs — and dozens of minor league and semi-pro teams
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- The Museum District’s 19 museums, galleries, cultural centers and community organizations
- Hermann Park, Memorial Park, Discovery Green and hundreds of other awesome parks
- Performing arts: from the opera and symphony, to ballet and theater, we have it all!
- Texas Medical Center
- Awesome schools, from Houston ISD and other fantastic school districts in our metropolitan area, to top colleges, including Rice University, the University of Houston and numerous other major institutions of higher learning
- Tons of free, fun events throughout the year, including concerts, festivals, various attractions, outdoor movies and more.
- Great people. Ask anyone who survived Hurricanes Harvey or Katrina, or people who weathered the most recent economic downturns. Houston is a city full of friendly, hard-working, helpful, entrepreneurial people who always lend a hand to those in need.